Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Shred and Book Reccomendations

I finally broke down the other day and bought Jillian Micheals' 30 day shred. It was just time to mix up my workout routine and I'm simply not creative enough to do it myself. Also, I just don't have the time to commit an hour or more to each workout and the thought of getting a good workout in 20 minutes sounded like something I should try. It arrived in my mailbox on Saturday and yesterday was my first day. IT. WAS. HARD. I'm not even kidding ... I just wanted to die while I was doing it but I pushed through and will be back for more this afternoon. I'll keep yall posted on my progress, but I'm going out of town next week so it will be more like a 10 day shred and then I'll start over with the full 30 days once I return.

After my workout and dinner, I was sooooo tired and felt like doing nothing so I decided to watch a movie that I had DVR'd a few weeks back. I chose Fool's Gold and now I feel like I've lost two hours of my life that I'll never get back. Anyone seen that? Its Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey, so it wasn't like I was expecting anything great but just a good light-hearted comedy. I guess it served its purpose though in getting my mind off these sore muscles of mine!!

I'm totally rambling here. I still don't have much blog inspiration. Ugh. Hate that. Anyway, I do need your help, readers. I'm in need of some book suggestions. I typically like easy, chick-lit type reads like Sophie Kinsella, Emily Giffin, etc but I'm really open to anything. What are some good reads you've found recently?

9 comments:

Erin said...

I recommend the Twilight series if you haven't read them yet. I was really skeptical at first, but now I'm one of those crazy obsessed fans. It's a really easy read too.

Team Thompson said...

Watch Mad Men if you have Comcast on demand. Best show on TV I think.

Sarah said...

Yay for books! I love everything by Emily Giffin. I, too enjoyed the Twilight series, and it was easy-breezy. Have you read any of Jennifer Weiner's stuff?

Also, a friend recently recommended Meg Cabot, but I haven't read her yet (waiting for a swaptree trade to go through). The girl that recommended her likes Sophie Kinsella a lot too.

If you want something different, some non-fiction that I enjoyed but was still easy to read: Three Cups of Tea, What is the What?, or one of Malcolm Gladwell's books.

PS - Ben (E) likes Mad Men too.

Equis said...

I swear the sun is sucking my blogging energy right out of me.

I'm currently reading The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud and just before that I read The Brief and Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz, both enjoyable.

And I also highly recommend Mad Men if not for the fashion alone.

Megan said...

sophie kinsella's newest just came out on tuesday. also - she writes as Madeline Wickam as well - and those are very good too.
in the non "chic-lit" arena - some that i recently read and LOVED are "The Swan House" and "Same Kind of Different as Me". these are what i would call "southern-lit". both were EXCELLENT.
if you are looking for a new one - i have a chic-lit library (including all Emily Giffin, Meg Cabot, Sophie/Madeline - plus a million others - some of which are Aubrey's) in my house - so feel free to come shop here!

Erin said...

Oh and I also love anything by Phillipa Gregory (she wrote The Other Boleyn Girl). It's great if you are into historical fiction. I know, it sounds nerdy, but I swear it's better than most soap operas today, plus you learn so much about history.

KatiePerk said...

Jane Green writes some really good books similar to Sophie Kinsella. Meg Cabot rights good ones too. Did you know that Sophie Kinsella is a pen name? She also has published books under the name Madeline Wickham. Happy Reading!

Katie said...

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I've got a pretty good list now so this should hold me over for a while!!

Also, I apparently must start watching mad men

Heather said...

Jennifer Weiner is my favorite chick lit author.