Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Jessica, Jessica ....

I'm sure by now everyone has heard about Jessica Simpson's latest little blunder? In case you haven't, here is the scoop: Jessica and Tony Romo broke up (a few weeks ago) but not before Jessica was able to gift Tony a $100,000 boat for his birthday. I guess Jess hasn't really been out in public much since the breakup because she was out the other day and the paparazzi were following her and asking her tons of questions. I only heard the audio, but from what I could tell, it seemed like she was trying to be polite and ignore the questions the best she could. Eventually they start asking about the boat and whether or not she she was asking for Tony to return it to her now that they've broken up.

Now, based on the audio it seems like Jessica is getting annoyed. So she responds "I'm not an Indian Giver" The papper responds "oh, not an Indian Giver, huh, Jessica?". End of audio.

Of course now, she is getting flack from the Native-Indian community for her comment. This is, I'm sure, fueled by our loverly news media. And now, of course I have a few thoughts on the matter. (Let me preface by stating that I do not particularly like JSimp. She's okay and all, but I just don't really think she's brought anything to the table since her Newlywed days and I'm just over her.) First, I think this is a classic case of a celebrity letting their guard down when they are being inundated by paparazzi. She was annoyed, and said the first thing that came to her mind. Who cares? It was clear that she didn't mean anything offensive by the statement. Secondly, the phrase 'Indian Giver' is a fairly common phrase. Maybe in these days of insane political correctness it isn't, but its certainly something she grew up saying. (I know I certainly did). Also, isn't Jessica known for her little gaffes? "Chicken of the Sea", "I Don't Eat Buffalo". So, really, for someone who is known to say things without thinking, can they really be accused of being racially insensitive? No. I think not.

The celebrity bloggers need to find someone else to pick on. She didn't mean to be offensive and this is a typical case of the media making a big deal out of something so ridiculously minor.

3 comments:

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

The unfortunate thing in all this is the focus on Jessica Simpson. In my honest opinion, the paparazzi need to be shredded to a pulp. They make lives for celebrities (and anyone who happens to come within 50 feet of them) miserable. It's really a shame.

Jill said...

The media is SOOO out of control these days. It really drives me crazy.

Equis said...

I think if it's insensitive it's insensitive whether the intent is there or not. Should we be focused on anything this chick has to say? Hell to the no, shake your finger and move on.