Friday, December 12, 2008

Ben v. Spaghetti

As you may or may not know, I absolutely love to cook. I watch food network often (well, not so much anymore) and am constantly on the lookout for new and different things to try. I wouldn't say that I'm an adventurous eater but I do like to try new things. Ben puts up with this to a point. I think there have only been two times that he has deemed something inedible. Once was because it was inedible and the other time because it contained 2 ingredients that he hates.

With all that said, I do try to cook some of our favorite dishes at least a couple times a week. I've found that Ben handles a new recipe much better when he knows that one of his favorites are in the queue. Lately though, one of our mutual favorites has come under some serious criticism. Spaghetti.

That's right. Spaghetti. I make my own sauce sometimes, but often I just use the jarred sauce and I'll usually throw in some peppers, onions, and herbs to punch up the flavor a bit. So a few months ago I bought a different brand of jarred sauce and it was awful. Neither one of us liked it, and I promised him that I would go back to the old kind. And I did. However, the very next time I made spaghetti he decided to tell me that his mother's was better.

OUCH!! I mean no offense at all to Ben's mother, but just OUCH. I mean, it is completely fine and natural to think that. You just don't say it to your wife!!!

Every time since then, he has requested that I make his mother's sauce. I haven't only because I don't have her recipe. He has to think to ask her in advance of when I go grocery shopping and I'll be happy to give it a whirl.

I think I have an alternate solution though, Ben. Just BUY ME THIS COOKBOOK for Christmas. I want it, need it, have to have it. I know your mother makes great spaghetti, but a a Rao's cookbook contains real Italian recipes. That would at least give her a run for her money!!

No comments: