Monday, September 24, 2012

St. Lucia - part V

This was probably both Ben's and my favorite day in St. Lucia by far.  I know it was mine, at least.  We'd picked out this tour early in the week because it sounded like we'd get to see a good bit of the island and as we talked to other people who had already gone they just raved about it. 

Bear with me on the pictures.  I've got lots!

We were picked up by bus, and taken to the harbor in the nearby capital of Castries where we got on a speed boat for a cruise along the western coast.  Almost immediatley they bust out the rum punch.  I normally don't even like rum punch but omg ... this stuff was divine.  It was semi-frozen, so all slushy and mango-y and just good.  We zipped along the coastline enjoying the scenery.

Stopped in the famous Marigot Bay for a look at the gorgeous houses and yachts.
Then we stopped in front of the Pitons for some quick photos.  They say these are the 9th wonder of the world.  (Guess they skipped over #8??  I thought there were only 7)  Wonder of the world or not, they're gorgeous and kinda the 'landmark' for St. Lucia.

After that quick stop, we went to a little reef for some snorkeling.  We actually saw lots of pretty fish and coral -- sometimes those snorkeling trips aren't so great but this stop was fantastic.  Also, don't we look pretty in all our gear?

After this, we pulled up to a little beach in the town of Soufriere and got off the boat.  There were some pretty aggressive locals trying to get money from us, so I probably shouldn't have stopped for this photo but I just think its so pretty!

We got in a van, and traveled up to Sulphur Springs National Park.  Posed for a quick photo.

Then we took a look at the water.  It was a cool 120 degrees.  I kid you not. 

We all kinda stood there dipping our feet in tenatively while our tour guide walked through it (like it was nothing) and got these big buckets of mud.  We slathered that mud all over ourselves.


I had a friend in college who dressed up as Sambo for halloween.  He literally painted himself black.  Not his finest hour (I'm sure even he would agree with that statement), but I couldn't help but remember that costume after I saw this picture of Ben and I.

There was actually a little pool where you could get into the water to wash off.  Remember, it was ONE HUNDRED TWENTY degrees in that pool.  I just kinda splashed myself but Ben did get in up to his shoulders.  Nuts! 

I can't even describe how soft this mud made our skin feel.  It has zinc, and all these awesome minerals that high-end skincare products have in it so its really a very healthful thing for your skin.  We did wash it off and then got in the van to go up the volcano a bit to a gorgeous waterfall.

Stopped quickly outside the park for a picture.  (our tour guide was awesome - took all 7 couples' cameras and patiently took photos of all of us at each stop)

Then we went into the water.  It was pretty strange going into 65 degree waterfall pools having just come from a hot sulphur spring, but just awesome.  I love this picture.

Oh and this one.  You get a better idea of how shocked we were in that water! 


We met The Most Interesting Man in the World.  He doesn't always drink beer, but when he does ... he drinks Piton.


From there, we dried off and they took back to the town for a litle local creole lunch.  It was delicious. 

After lunch, we boarded the boat again and headed back towards our resort.  We stopped for a little show that the locals gave us.  Can you believe these kids?? They were jumping right in front of our boat.

Drove through this cave Jack Sparrow style.  (i think some pirate carribbean thing was filmed there or something)

And they dropped us off right on the beach at our resort.  It was such a fun and exhilarating day ... words don't really do it justice.  Definitely something I would do all over again.  

We relaxed by the pool and on the beach for the remainder of the afternoon.  After we were dressed for the evening and relaxing with a glass of champagne ben looked at me and (very seriously) said "Katie, I just don't think I can vacate any harder than this".  I laughed. 

Then went to the fancy-pants 5-course French resturant for dinner.  I had to splain' to Ben what an amuse-bouche was!  Anyway, this meal was the perfect end to a great day!

No comments: