Tuesday, September 18, 2012

St. Lucia - part III

I hope yall aren't getting sick of this yet because I still have 4 more days to go ....

So, when we were initially planning our trip we were very close to going to Costa Rica.  We've actually wanted to go to Costa Rica for several years, really for many reasons.  One of those reasons is for the zip lines.  So, when we found out that St. Lucia also has some excellent zip lines we were all for it.  I have to admit that this is probably one of the things i was most looking forward to about this trip.

So, the day starts early with a bus ride into the rain forest.  Everywhere you go in St. Lucia takes quite a while because the middle of the country is all rain forest and there really aren't many roads (if any) through the middle of the island. 

We arrived in the rain forest, took a few 'before' pictures (that gear isn't terribly flattering to anyone)

Then got suited up




We got a quick lesson on technique.  Not sure if you can tell or not, but I didn't quite get it right on my first try -- you're supposed to be facing forward the entire time and right after takeoff I'm sideways. 
Ben had the camera for the first few lines, but you'll just have to take my word for it that he got it right from the beginning.  (I, on the other hand, ended up having to muscle myself in on the first line or two)

I eventually got it right!


We had a blast.  Really, just such a cool experience. 


There was quite a bit of hiking involved, and I of course kept my eyes peeled for snakes and bugs and such.  Didn't see any though :)  We paused for a little self-portrait.


We had a fantastic time and I think we both agreed that this is something we would definitley do again! 

This was our tour guide, Simple.  He was hilarious .... and also insane because if you look closely there is a tarantula on his head. 

I actually didn't take any pictures the rest of the afternoon, but we went back to the resort for lunch (more grilled pizzas ... yum) and spent the remainder of the day at the pool and beach.

That evening we got fancied up, but not quite in time for a sunset picture.  We had a lovely dinner at the Japanese resturant and then took it back to the pub for more Pitons and Football! 

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm loving these posts. It looks like such a fun trip so far! I can't wait to see the next few days!