Friday, March 6, 2009

Flip

Ben and I went to Flip again the other night, this time with a friend from out of town. While I thoroughly enjoyed my dining experience, I have to admit it wasn't quite as perfect as the first time. The three of us arrived at the restaurant around 8pm. It was a Thursday night so we expected a bit of a wait, and were prepared for the fact that they would probably not give us an estimated wait time (they didn't do this the first time I went, because it had just opened). We ended up having to wait about 15 minutes longer than they estimated, and I was totally famished, so I wasn't too thrilled about that.

When we finally did get seated, we were seated in the "chef's chairs" overlooking the kitchen. At the risk of sounding like a whiny brat, I was annoyed with this too. The idea of chef's chairs is actually a good concept -- you sit at a bar and have a view of the kitchen. However, the ergonomics of this particular bar/chairs just didn't work. I am only 5'4" and found it uncomfortable, so of course Ben (who is 6'3") really had a hard time. Part of my annoyance was probably the fact that it was now 9pm and I was beyond starving. Once we had another round of Stellas, things improved.

The food at Flip, really is good. Its a burger joint, actually a burger boutique, but all of the burgers have a gourmet twist. It recently opened back in November and is the concept of last year's Top Chef runner-up, so it tends to stay pretty crowded. They don't take reservations, so you will most likely have to wait to be seated but it is well worth it.


I think Ben hit the jackpot with his meal. I'll be honest and say that I had a terrible case of food envy. He had the Chorizo burger, which I don't see on their online menu so you'll have to settle for my description: ground chorizo served with a layer of hashbrowns, a fried egg, manchego cheese, and romesco ketchup. Ben is a pretty picky eater and his typical hamburger consists of simply meat and ketchup ... no bun. (He'll kill me for writing that, but its true). So for a plain-jane eater like Ben, you can see that was quite an adventurous choice!


I chose the Southern burger this time, which was pretty good but honestly not as good as the burger that I had last time (the Butcher Cut -- I highly recommend this one). The Southern Burger comes country fried with green tomato ketchup, pimento cheese, and topped with home made pickles. I also had a side of asparagus tempura -- I LOVE asparagus, so I just couldn't resist them! Last time I went, they did not ask us to specify what temperature


RTR went with the Southern Burger, Po Boyger (ground shrimp, old bay mayo, fried lemon, and tobasco) , and Cole Slaw. We both agreed that the Southern Burger could have used a little more pimento cheese and he thought that the Po Boyger and Cole Slaw were a little too acidic, but still pretty good. Apparently the milkshakes at Flip are delish, so RTR ordered the pistachio and truffle one. Sounds odd, but really it was pretty good. There are some others that I would like to try, but since I've quit eating sweets right now I chose to abstain.


I was a little disenchanted with this experience, but I think that was mainly because of the longer than expected wait and the not great seating and not because of the food. If you live in Atlanta, you really should give Flip a try! The food is good and reasonably priced, and it has great atmosphere.


I have a few pics of our food, I may post those later. Or I may not.

4 comments:

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

That's the thing about trendy restaurants. They're always unpredictable. Around here, reservations doesn't mean a guaranteed seating time. The more popular restaurants can get away with it too. Because if you don't want to wait, someone else will. So, I guess the moral of the story is not to wait until you're close to famished to go to Flip. =)

Equis said...

Goodness your description of the Chorizo burger had my mouth watering. I'll go make myself a bologna sandwich now. :(

BWL said...

Gotta admit, was pretty proud to have the winner the other night. It was one of those things where you know all the ingredients are awesome so you just hope when it's all together it's awesome.

I had the bacon cheeseburger the last time and it was really good too but the Chorizo was 10 times better.

I've enjoyed Flip both times except for the wait, but at least they have a big bar to pass the time with some fresh draft stellas.

BWL said...

Also...forgot to give a quick shoutout to the vodka battered onion rings....SOLID

Had them both times I've been and they are outstanding.