Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Miss California Controversy

I heard a little blip about this on the news the other day, and then a friend told me the whole story of the Miss California controversy. I did a little research into the facts behind the controversy and really feel that the whole thing was unfair. (I hate that word, but its the best way to describe how I feel about it)

At the Miss USA pageant on Sunday night, Miss California was asked a question by one of the judges, Perez Hilton. Immediately after it was revealed that Miss California had drawn Perez's question, one of the commentators said "are we worried?"

Perez's response: "you should be"

And then he delivers his question: "Vermont recently became the 4th state to legalize same-sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit? Why or why not?"

Her response: "I think its great Americans are able to choose one way or another. We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised, and that's how I think it should be -- between a man and a woman."

Now, I'm not writing this in order to spark a debate over gay marriage. Don't even go there.

The problem I have with this? Perez Hilton. Perez may be more polarizing than Jesse Jackson. So why was he chosen as a judge? Because the pageant owner (Trump) knew he would ask controversial questions which would ensure media coverage and debate.

Secondly, Miss California had no choice but to respond controversially. Had she said that she believes all states should legalize gay marriage, she would have been criticized by conservative groups out there. Her other choice was to state that she did not believe states should legalize gay marriage. And now, of course she is being slaughtered by the media. It was virtually impossible for her to give a middle-ground response.

Shortly after the pageant aired, Perez Hilton posted a video blog. He stated that Miss Prejean's response was "THE worst response in pageant history". He then went on to say that she lost because she was a "dumb bitch". I will give him credit in that he went on to explain what would have been a better answer. But the answer he suggested? It didn't answer the question he had posed. Furthermore, as a judge of the pageant he really should not speak out for or against any of the contestants.

I feel that Miss California was treated unfairly. She was a victim of Trump's love of media-controversy and Perez Hilton's desire to be a #1 you tube or google search. What are your thoughts?

12 comments:

Tara said...

i think that the worst response in pageant history was made by miss arizona...she was asked a question about government provided healthcare (i think) and she totally did not answer it!!!! she just talked about integrity!

Josh said...

Preezdintcare!

Becky said...

I agree Katie and I also think that this wouldn't have turned into the circus it has if it weren't for Perez. It is all about publicity at this point. This is the United States of America. Why are we slamming someone for speaking their beliefs?

Equis said...

I just happen to have asked my sister earlier today whether or not Perez really cost the girl the competition, if it was really that close. She’s a journalist and one of her assignments last week was to cover the competition. Here’s what she said:

It definitely cost her the competition. Obviously, I didn't agree with the answer anymore than I would've agreed with a beauty queen in the '60s saying blacks should drink at separate fountains. However, Hilton's immature outbursts after the matter are making homegirl look like some kind of martyr. He needs to shut up and just be glad he cost her the crown.

Accidentally Me said...

I sort of saw this...but I stop listening to pretty much anything when I hear the words "Perez Hilton". What exactly is he?

I don't really think her answer was that bad (save for maybe saying "Opposite marriage"...lol).

Sounds like she said that she thinks marriage should be between a man and a woman, but recognizes that others disagree with her?

Seems pretty reasonable to me...am I missing something?

Katie said...

Tara - Agreed. I'm sure these girls are trained to dance around questions so as not to offend anyone. However, in the real world you are sometimes forced to take a position. That is what Miss California did and I commend her for that.

Josh - nohedidnt!

Becky - Perez is a publicity whore, so is Donald Trump. The whole thing was staged for publicity. She was asked to state her position, she stated it and she shouldn't be slammed for her beliefs.

EquisBuffy - I think my biggest issue with the whole thing is Perez's response. She lost because of him, so why can't he just let it go?

Accidentally Me - Perez Hilton is a blogger extraordinaire. He mostly posts pictures of celebrities and gossip. She had a decent response, and any reasonable person can appreciate that ... whether they agree or disagree with her position.

Equis said...

Is it possible to be an even sorer (is that a word) winner than a loser? Perez is a complete drama queen, you're right he really does need to let it go.

Unknown said...

Also, who gets a queer to judge a beauty pageant of women? Wouldn't Hugh heffner, Joe the Plumber, me or any other straight man been a better choice for a judge?

Equis said...

Wes is a douche. Just wanted to throw that in there.

Unknown said...

EquisBuffy...hahahahaha. This coming from someone who reads strangers' blogs. Classic internet melt and oversensitivity to a cause.

Katie said...

WHOA NELLY! I gotta cut in here and moderate this little argument for a second.

a) Wes, that is insensitive and you know better than to say things like that!

b) EquisBuffy, I agree that his statements are wrong but I suspect he is just trying to get a rise out of people

c) Wes, I read strangers blogs. So does your wife. In fact, I think I started reading EquisBuffy's before she ever came to mine

d) LOTS of people read stranger's blogs ... you are in a minority in that you don't understand that!

Anonymous said...

I only like gays if they are female and hot. It's a challenge to turn them back straight and so far I am 3-8 in doing so.

That's Hall of Fame numbers if I am a baseball player but not so good if I am a butch softball player.