Thursday, October 7, 2010

Papa's 80th Birthday

If you read my sister's blog this is all old news. But still you should read what I'm going to write because I do have a cute story to tell!

Last weekend we celebrated my Papa's 80th birthday! Quite the milestone for him, and amazing to me because he does not act like your typical 80-year old. At all. Anyway, here are a few pictures from the celebration. We were fortunate enough to have the WHOLE family there including all 10 grandkids and 4 great-grandkids. This hardly ever happens simply because our family is so large so it was nice to have everyone there to celebrate.

Papa with his 4 kids

Papa with all 10 grandchildren and 4 great-grandchildren

The 4 great-grandchildren. Tough to get them all smiling and looking at the camera at the same time so this is the best we could do!!

Now for the story I promised you. As I previously said, he doesn't really act his age and I love that about him. He still travels both internationally and stateside and plays golf several times a week (well, not quite as much in the winter months but you know what I mean ...). Apparently he has a pretty good drive and always hits the ball pretty far (I don't talk in terms of yardage). Anyway, he was golfing one day and the guy with him was in his 60's. So a good 15-20 years younger than my grandfather. Papa hit his drive and it was a good one. The man said "Wow, Bob, that was a great shot! I wish I could drive the ball that far". Papa's response: "Yeah maybe one day when you grow up you'll learn to drive the ball just like me!"

Awesome!

No comments: