Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Stranded.

I'll start off this post by telling you about what I did last Wednesday.  I managed to lock myself out of my house.  Fortunately Wyatt was upstairs in his bed, asleep so that was not a huge concern.  What did concern me and cause me a minor freak out was the fact that I had chicken in the oven cooking.  I stepped outside to deadhead some roses really quick and thankfully was on the phone when I walked out.  After my quick freak-out, and reminding myself that I needed to remain calm, I called my parents to come down with a spare key.  My dad was there within 30 minutes, and all was well.  No fire or anything -- just burned chicken (for the record, I ate it anyway .... pretty much lost my appetite after the whole episode).

The following weekend, Ben kicked W and I out of the house for fantasy draft so we went to the lake with my parents.  It was overall a fun weekend and an enjoyable trip to the lake.  We did have a little incident though.

See this picture?   Looks totally innocent, right?

 Well, it was.  We were having a nice little ride -- it was a little cloudy and we were slightly concerned about a rain storm but we weren't too far from the house and figured we could get home ahead of the rain shower.  But then, Wyatt decided that in addition to driving the boat he should play with the keys and he reached up and turned the key mid-ride.

This was no big deal, right?  Dad figured we'd just start the boat back up and head on back home.  That would have been fine, but the battery had died and we couldn't get the boat to crank.  (Also, this is SO unlike my dad - Mr. Cautious - but I don't think he realized that the battery was that weak or he never would have taken the boat out).

Did I do that??

We all freaked out a little bit, but realized that with a 2 year old in tow we needed to get our emotions in check and after a few minutes of trying dad called the marina.  We weren't far away, and they had a towing service that they dispatched right away.

I think the Marina guys were probably there within about 20 or 30 minutes of dad calling, but the thing that took this whole adventure up a notch was the fact that it started POURING rain right about the time the guy got there. Dad and the man changed the battery and Mom, Wyatt, and I huddled under the canopy to avoid the rain.  Poor dad got pelted in the face the whole way back to our dock, but really it could have been much worse. 

You know who didn't care?  This kid .... he was dry and comfortable and went to sleep on the way back. 
I've always heard that wives tale about things happening in 3's so I'm waiting to see what will happen next ....

2 comments:

Accidentally Me said...

I'd probably be pretty careful with my car keys, just to be on the safe side:-)

Julie said...

So glad everyone was able to help u out so quickly!
W looks so big (and adorable, of course)! Hope to see u soon!