Tuesday, December 22, 2009

19 Week Update (Because I Can't Think of a Creative Title)

I'm finally calming down from our hell week last week. I literally had to leave work early every single day for something related to the baby, moving, or closing on our condo. We also were supposed to have a meeting with our builder, but fortunately Ben took the reins on that as I just couldn't miss any more work that I already did. On top of that, I was trying to finish packing up all of our belongings in a very organized fashion so that I would be able to find things as we needed them. I started out pretty organized, but got pretty sloppy in the end in an effort to get everything moved out. My parents came down a few times and ended up being a TREMENDOUS help. I tried to do as much as I could by myself, but one pregnant woman can only do so much! On top of that our buyers were pretty nit-picky about things so I ended up having to fight with an HVAC company to get them to come back out and re-do work they had already done in order to satisfy the buyers. (More on them later) Everything ended up working out smoothly and we closed without a hitch so it is a relief to have that off our plate!

Ben and I went to the doctor last Tuesday for my 2nd trimester ultrasound. This is the big one where they do a full anatomy scan of the baby to make sure everything is healthy. This is also where you would be able to find out the sex of your baby, but of course we didn't chose to do so -- they told us when to look away and we both did! So that means there is no going back now -- Shim is officially a Shim (she + him) until May!! Anyway, the doctors say that everything looks great with Shim and even though we really had no cause to be concerned it is still nice to hear that from a doctor!

I need to get some better 19 week belly pictures done, but for now here is a picture of me this morning.

Now, I KNOW that I am getting bigger. I think I've gained about 10 pounds, which may be a little on the high side considering I'm only 19 weeks, but I think most would agree that it is typically best to not point that out to any pregnant woman. Fortunately, I haven't had too many people make annoying comments to me, but the few I have heard have reeeeelllly set me off! For example, I was at a family Christmas lunch the other day and someone who I hadn't seen in a while said:

"So you're only 19 weeks, huh? Do the doctors say you're going to have a big baby?"

Now, I'm fairly certain she wasn't trying to insult me. BUT was that really necessary to say? I think not! I was polite in my response but I had to bite my tongue to keep myself from snapping!

There are 3 people in this world that can get away with making fat, pregnant comments or jokes to me: Mom, Sister, Doctor. Anyone who doesn't fall into one of those 3 categories should probably stick with more generic comments.

Other than that I feel like my pregnancy has been fairly boring - no major cravings other than cookie dough. I got so excited yesterday when I was reading a sugar cookie dough recipe because I didn't see where it called for an egg but then I realized that had to be a mistake - I highly doubt there is a such thing as an eggless cookie! Although I say my pregnancy has been uneventful, I will admit that I have a major case of prego-brain. The other night after dinner with some friends I went to leave and couldn't remember where I had parked my car. I literally walked the parking lot, in the cold, for 10 minutes searching for it! I've also noticed that I've been a little more ditzy/forgetful than usual but apparently that is something everyone experiences. (Right????)

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

I am SO glad I'm on the list of people that can call you FAT!!! :)
Kidding---you're not fat, YET!

Sarah said...

Sounds like everything is going great! And you look great too! I think 10 pounds (almost) half-way through your pregnancy is completely normal.

On a random note, we saw Shim's Dad at the basketball game the other night and I waited in the concession line with three Ben's. We bought your hubby some popcorn, and he said if he didn't pay us back we could name the baby; I think we will call Shim Paul Johnson.

Equis said...

You still look good girl; don't let the ignoramuses get you down.

Accidentally Me said...

10 pounds?!?! My god, you are tiny! They told me that a pound a week is perfectly normal (for one baby:-P) for most of your pregnancy.

I am only two weeks ahead of you, right? I have gained almost 25, so apparantly I am having twin sumo wrestlers...

Becky said...

Katie! You look great! So cute. Glad to hear that everything is going so well with Becky Rebecca!

The Slyes - Aubrey, David, and Harrison said...

You look right on track to me - absolutely adorable.... when people start giving you hell, don't feel bad about snapping back and making them feel like poop - you are prego and can get by with a few "hormonal moments!" Use it to your advantage!

Jill said...

You look SO cute! Wow~ I hope I look that good when I'm pregnant!

Thank you so much for your sweet comment and your prayers concerning my Grandpa. Our family really felt all the prayers and it meant so much to us.

Megan said...

kat - you look precious! so glad the closing/moving went smoothly and you have that off your checklist. whew!!! now you can just enjoy being pregnant and building your dream house - how fun! hope yall had a great Christmas. talk to you soon. lots of love to shimmy shimmy coco pop.